Answers to frequently asked questions by newly admitted have been condensed into five sections viz: Admission confirmation, Fees, accommodation, change of course and screening documents. These answers have been made in long but simple details for the comprehension of every candidate who finds this blog post helpful.
PROLOGUE: So you’ve finally landed that admission you wanted in AKWA IBOM UNIVERSITY, well congratulations and welcome to the University with a vibrant energy that’s rare in today’s Tertiary Education system. You officially become a bonafide student of this ardent institution upon successful screening and induction during Matriculation ceremony in 2016. But before that, here’s what you should be aware of:
1. ADMISSION CONFIRMATION: Every candidate who has been admitted into Akwa Ibom State University either viaa POST UTME or DIRECT ENTRY should have their name included in any of the admission lists released on the school web. And such candidate can print his/her Admission letter as confirmation from the Jamb Portal.
Few candidates will not find their names on the University’s admission list but have a confirmation of their admission from the Jamb portal when they check their admission status.
WHY? Well lets call it a recurrent error that makes such name unintentionally omitted from the school’s list during compilation for release. That’s why after the main admission list is released, another could be released containing such omitted names. So if your name is on the Jamb Portal as admitted, you’ve been admitted.
b. Admission letter; every admitted candidate should have printed his/her Admission letter at this moment. Candidates yet to, should find directives on previous posts on how to do so.
But even with your name on the admission list, some candidates may find difficulties with the Jamb portal processing their Admission letter. This difficulties could be e.g another university or course appearing on the letter or not being able to find candidate’s admission confirmation.
Candidates with such issue(s) will have them rectified in near future after resumption.
2. FEES: Recently, there’s been tons of misinformation and mixed reactions over the University’s Fees/Charges for the coming session, concerning especially the newly admitted. Here’s what’s obvious; Every Fee/Charge for either aptitude test screening, acceptance and tuition, etc are bound to changes for any new session i.e they aren’t fixed. So before the beginning of any new session, Fees/Charges for the session is made available on the University’s web.
Cause for the recent pandemonium concerning the upcoming session’s school fees was triggered by the change in the post utme screening fee and especially the acceptance fee, to which most persons concluded that school fees for next session would be changed (increased) and some unbased figures were put up.
So to set the records straight, Fees for the current 2014/2015 session was 73,000.00 (seventy-three thousand naira only) and 53,000.00 (fifty-three thousand naira only) for non-indigene and indigene students respectively, of which the fees covers for the whole session i.e two semesters.
That was for the present session. If it remains same for the upcoming session, a release on the school web and here would be made. If it dosent remain same, it would also be made pubic on these afro mentioned media.
b. Part Payments: newly admitted candidates CAN NOT make part payments of any of their Fees/Charges i.e every payment is made In full.
part payment option is available only after the candidate’s 100L, which is made in two parts, first and second semester only. Moreover, the part payment is for the tuition fee charge only.
3. ACCOMMODATION: a little history of accommodation J; AKSU operated a free accommodation policy for her 100L students only, after which the students go and source for private accommodation. This was provided by the outgone prof. Sunday Petters led management. This went on till the hostels were vacated and refurbished into mostly office blocks for accreditation purposes. The vacated students were checked into hostels owned by private owners within the university campus on same ‘no payment’ policy. This continued until the new management ended such policy. Hence no free accommodation.
But new hostels have been completed (for females) with others underway (for males) completion in both campuses. The completed hostels are ready for use for the incoming students. Payment options is yet to be made released, but will be.
So, here are the options available for accommodation for interested candidates;
+ Hostels around the Campus owned by private owners with payment option per semester.
+Newly completed hostels (for females) owned by the University with payment options not made available yet.
+private accommodation around the campus with several accommodation options of; one room, self contain room, bedroom flats, etc
With these, candidates should be able to figure out their accommodation option prior resumption and plan ahead toward their option.
4. CHANGE OF COURSE: Some Candidates want a change from their admitted course to another with several personal reasons. The possibility of a change of course for a newly admitted student isn’t feasible i.e can’t work until the candidate goes through an academic session (100L). This allows the candidate to attain a GP which is one of the requirements for a change of course. Candidates who change courses in 100L have the changes done due to inability to meet up with the O Level requirements of the admitted course.
Candidates will to still change their course after 100L must meet the following requirements;
+ Attain a grade point (GP) of 3.5 or above from 100L (for a switch to a course outside the candidate’s present faculty) or less for a course within the faculty.
+ candidate’s O Level and Utme subject combination Must meet the intended course’s O Level and utme subject requirement. With a minimum of Credit in relevant O Level subjects.
Those are the general requirements for a change of course, few others exists as the faculty/course applies. So before a candidate takes on to make a change of course, he/she must meet the general requirements and make contact with present department and intended department on its possibility and how to go about it.
P.S it’s a lengthy and tedious process.
5. SCREENING DOCUMENTS: Resumption of new admitted students begin with screening of each student. The screening process consists entirely of scrutiny of all documents required by the University prior resumption. Then submission of photocopy of the documents to appropriate units and other faculty/department registration.
During the screening process each year, few candidates would be asked to change their course or forfeit the admission for inability to meet Utme/University requirements, forged and or incomplete documents. Already, some previously admitted candidates have had their admissions nullified by Jamb, a new trend that was introduced this year. While those asked to change courses during screening are due to utme/ O Level requirements. They are transferred to departments that their subject(s) meet the requirements. The screening process is based entirely on each candidate’s document contents.
The screening documents for the next session screening is yet to be released but are always the same documents requested of yearly. These documents have already been posted here which generated questions to few of them that’ll be addressed below;
+ JAMB RESULT & ADMISSION LETTER SLIP[ these are printed online by purchasing their various scratch cards from Jamb outlet and logging on to Jamb portal to print, all in colour] Jamb result and Admission Letter slips MUST contain admitted candidate passport on it.
+O ‘LEVEL (SSCE) RESULTS [AKSU accepts either Original Waec, Neco Or Nabteb results OR their online printout equivalents ONLY.] Statement of result from candidate’s exam center or secondary school will NOT be accepted, according to NUC directives.
+LETTER OF REFERENCE [this is a letter from a person in authority or recognized corporation e.g pastor, manager, principal, etc] Reference letter MUST be duly signed and stamped with appropriate letter head]
Other documents required for screening that do not need explanation include;
+ at least ten (10) candidate’s passport photograph in red background
+ birth certificate or age declaration slip
+ certificate of local government of origin
N/B Any of the requested documents with candidate’s data incorrect e.g name, date, etc should have a sworn affidavit to avoid setbacks during the screening process.
We hope you find this blog post useful in preparation for your resumption .
Get Latest University, Polytechnics, Colleges, Admission News And Updates Straight To Your Email Daily